Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Fair Farina - Quick Bite Review


Farina Kitchen Bar was our choice for a quick Saturday evening bite before hitting the town with a leave pass from the 2month old Son care of Nanna. We slipped in very early to beat any rush and catch the Chefs before they are flooded with their first rush of orders. We sipped on some German made Pilsner and looked down a menu that is highlighted by interesting use of ingredients - The would make any Foodie Happy! But for not so intrepid eaters it is a little confronting as they are limited to a few choices as they shy away from new experiences or old ideas of how things taste. I am finding the choices so enticing I would like to try several, choices made tougher by a limited selection of Wines by the glass. So with my choice of wine driving the dinner choice I move toward a Scorpo Chardonnay 06 I think, this puts me in line for the Rabbit Leg or Confit Duck. I could have really gone to Foodie town with Lambs Brain Ravioli with garlic, entree size only - Lambs really aren't that smart! I decide with my large brain (ha!) to have the Braised Duck. The wine arrived near frozen and had nothing of the richness I was after - thankfully It warmed up significantly in my palms before my duck arrives... The instant pungency of the game'y leg and mustard fruit that adorns this classic little dish is a welcome change form recent meals, the lentils and diced veg is knee deep in an amazingly rich and rounded jus. I am happy to see such a well crafted dish is not confused with other textures and dotted by silly little garnishes that rarely add any benefit to a dish. My partner maintained their trajectory toward the waiting pub, a pilsner and a the swimmer crab risotto. Hooray I spy fresh shucked peas - A gold Star for this kitchen! If you know the sculleryblog you will know my dislike of packet peas in a dish nearing $30 - $7.50 Counter meal Roast yeah ok. But not in a "Restaurant" Unfortunately the Rice was still a little firm and not quite finished - people will tell you that Risotto should be creamy and not stiff, but it's all for nothing if the Arborio is on the tough side of correct. Some more Crispy spuds with garlic rosemary and salt to keep the beer in check and we were gone. A lovely quiet meal in a neat venue, despite showing some unfinished bits its intention is certainly not lost on this blogger - I would happily return for more and perhaps splurge a little more. All in the name of critical reference for all those who appreciate it!Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell TheScullery your thoughts...