Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baking Bender!

I like a challenge and it is not often a challenge gets the better of me, and sometimes my pride can get in the way of rational admission of defeat. This time I am utterly confused - yet still intrigued as to how this culinary challenge got the better of me.


The challenge was to bake a basic chocolate cake for a friend who wanted it for their wedding cake. White frosting and and two tiers of simple square design, this holds the biggest challenge - A Square Cake!


I can bake, I accurately follow recipes when baking and I know all the procedures for best results - like maintaining the air in a light eggy sponge cake. So I refer to the baking bible of Aaron Maree's Cakes, Tortes and Gateaux's. It has every old world cake recipe with very good pictorial decorating instructions. Plus every cake I have made form this cookbook straight from the late eighties has never failed.... Until now! I started with the light and not to rich Chocolate Genoise` Sponge, I make and bake it with success. A taste test by my bride approved taster - "No, not rich enough"... This is not good. The idea of layering up a square gateaux with choc chantilly cream is not going to happen - all of my best efforts to explain how the richness needs balance with frosting and layers is lost. I back track and bake one of my old favourites the dark cocoa cake - "No"

F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K!

I search the pages of the cook book and find a recipe for a Devil's Food Cake - which is the chocolate version of Angels Food Cake. An American contribution to the baking world that is extremely popular because it is rich moist and satisfying without cream.
Cake 1 - Rises, doesn't set. falls....Shit. Is my bi-carb soda 10 years old?
Cake 2 - Rises Slowly, cooks a bit better - But eventually falls, Double Shit!
Cake 3 - If this one does not work I have to pull the pin and go into contingency mode! What do you know it Rise nicely and so i cook it steadily and do not open the door or skewer it until it definitely cooked through... Test - Fail! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K!
Cake 4!! - One more - This time with SR Flour and trying not to over mix in a smaller bowl... Signs are good and with a consistent rise I am happy with the help I recieved from my Mother (bless her) i let it cool and wait until the morning to test the cake. I slice right through the middle to reveal a cavernous hole of uncooked cake. F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K!F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K! F%$K!

I call in a favour from some former colleagues and a massive (layered chocolate sponge) gateaux is ready and waiting the next day. Phew! Wiping brow - relief. I haven't completely ruined everything.

I will master this recipe... but the mystery is still out there...

Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell TheScullery your thoughts...