Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bad Mo Pho`

I love Pho` and it loves me. There are moments when I am in a Asian grocer and I want to buy just about everything knowing it could significantly shorten my life or those around me. I press on and buy stuff that looks good, I usually stick with some consistent brands like the Pantainorasingh Brand or Ayam. Generally the brands that get the spelling correct and label the ingredients accurately. On this occassion there was a nice mix of Chinese English or chinglish (even though being made in Thailand) I read the ingredients in this Pho` paste and saw Monosodium Glutamate E621.
Is my love of Pho` real or is it synthetically enhanced by the MSG that potentially could be tricking my brain into thinking this shit is good! I will still eat and enjoy Pho` but I think I might avoid the jar paste variety and attempt to make my own... Truth is the jar paste wasn't bad but again the mystery remains was it the MSG or was it the heady brew of spice and beefy goodness? Could be a rough night ahead: sweating, shaking, hallucinations and thats just the Aussie playing One Day Cricket!!







This video is backed up by Food Standards Australia document on MSG...
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/MSG%20Technical%20Report.pdf#search=%22msg%22
Giles

3 comments:

  1. I thought MSG was banned altogether in Australia?

    -Benny-

    ReplyDelete
  2. MSG is in SO many things we buy. Any kind of potato chip or derivative has it, lots of spice pastes, pasta and stir-fry sauces.

    It makes all chinese takeaway rat satays taste awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No - MSG is not banned in Australia.

    ReplyDelete

Tell TheScullery your thoughts...