Thursday, October 30, 2008

Continental quest! Review.

I have some favourite continental stores where I buy things I don't need - tasty things!

Forza Continental is a low key building on Holbrooks Rd, which is full of freshly baked bread, smallgoods, cheese and everything that is pickled, preserved and imported.
I used to study at a now demolished uni campus across the road and a few slices of provolone, coppa, lepinja and a cold chinotto was all cheaper than the unibar lunch - Brilliant!

Gaganis Bros. is the giant of Adelaide wholesale food importers, they have absolutely everything you need. From wine making to rare liqueurs, frozen pastries, aisles of fetta cheese and of course the cheapest charcoal in town - BBQ bargains everywhere! I love this place, just try and avoid the coin counting Nonna's, they take for ever at the check out.

Omega Foods is the smaller version of Gaganis, but it prides itself on a superb deli section with an amazing olive and cheese section, beans pulses and herbs also feature prominently. Go there to learn...

Imma & Mario's Mercato is the new age of continental store, it has a modern look with a glossy fit out. It is a very good layout with the deli section in the middle and the cafe section to one side, I wonder up and down the aisle's wondering if I will ever be rich enough to afford all of it! It is all very well presented and still reasonably priced - make the trek up Lower North East Rd. and you will be impressed and very jealous that the northerners have it so good!

Thebarton Foodland IGA is possibly the best supermarket for continental goods in general, I don't think they would have ever sold out of sliced white 'nothing' bread. The loaves are crusty and the tinned tomato's are dirt cheap, and sometimes the sultry deli girls laugh at one of your jokes. They are like mermaids with their siren's song drawing you to the sharp rocks of the smallgoods deli! You leave confused.... with so much more produce than you thought you asked for.

Barilla Continental Store is a little continental store compared to the bigger wholesalers mentioned above, but what these guys have is passion. During the last heat wave that sat on Adelaide like a school yard bully I travelled regularly to Grange Beach for a dip. On my return journey I would slip in for a canoli and some fresh coffee, every time I was greeted with happy gusto! My enquiries about my out of order home espresso machine were treated as though my own child was near death. New seals were selected and my espresso maker is purring. Oh yeah and they do pasta.

Search the map on the right hand side for the specific locations of these gems!
Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell TheScullery your thoughts...